





After our post yesterday, we met up with our group at the hotel and attended an amazing Chinese acrobat show. The theatre is pictured above. It felt great to be together in a group, traveling in an air-conditioned coach after spending the last four days in crazy taxi land.
After having breakfast with yet another retired Australian couple, the group headed to Tianamen Square, which can accomodate 1 million people, 1/10 the population of Beijing.
Our guide, Joy, filled us in on a lot of the history.
We then strolled under the great picture of Mao, which is also the first gate into the Forbidden City. We were all given audio tours, and we strolled through different areas than we did yesterday.
Travel today culminated with a Hutong tour on bicycle rickshaws. You haven't traveled until you've been through Beijing's congested streets on the back of a bike. Exhilarating. Hutongs are narrow alleys and interconnected homes and courtyards of ancient China. Hutongs are still living, breathing neighborhoods, much different from the cityscape we've been encountering. Many of the homes are more than 250 years old. Part of Hutong tour involved stopping at the home of Mr. Lu, a champion raiser of fighting crickets. Yes, really! He also raises grasshoppers, which are raised for the chirping sound they make in his courtyard.
Tomorrow we head to the Great Wall and to Chongqing. And most importantly, tomorrow we can say only "one more day until Ava." We are not sure what the Internet situation will be like in our new hotel, so if we do not post tomorrow, we will soon.
Scott and Anne journeyed to China in September, 2006 to adopt their daughter, Ava. Relive their experiences through their 
9 comments:
Wow! Fighting crickets!...what'll they think of next!?!
Won't it be neat to be in the same city as Ava soon?...Be sure to get some rest these next couple of days...Almost time for the wild ride of parenthood!...Get ready.....get set.....go....AVA!
.....Whooohoooo!!!!!!
You two will be old pros in no time, though...
I can hardly wait to see those pictures of you with your sweet little sunshine girl...
...so wonderful...
:-) Donna.
Thanks for sharing all of your adventures with us! I've found it to be entirely fascinating.
We're so happy for you that your little Ava will be in your arms so soon.
Matt & Becki
Thanks for organizing our dinner in the big city. Great pics! You guys are going to be wonderful parents!
Conway
I want to see fighting crickets! Can you guys bring some back? Just kidding.
The 250-year old neighborhoods sound amazing. And I love the "tough" picture of Scott standing in front of Mao - you guys look like brothers! Ha ha. And the picture of Anne at the bottom is so lovely - it speaks a thousand words.
33 hours and 50 minutes left!
love, Dan
Dear Anne and Scott,
I just talked to Randi. I've been relaying your blog narrative to her each day. They love it!!
I agree with Dan's comments about the pictures. And your smiles in the rickshaw are beautiful!
Along with the scenery, we love seeing your sweet faces and Ava will too as, at different ages, she reads this priceless blog about Mommie and Daddy going to China for their sweet daughter.
(-:I want to ride in a rickshaw :-)
We are joining the Bernhardts this weekend for a Chinese festival near the square (can you believe it ) and the Badger game and will use their computer for our Chinese connection (-:
So soon....little Ava....a happy tear....love to our family of three xoxoxo
from Grandma Mary and Grandpa Jim
Hey - if you look this happy now I can't wait to see the pictures once you get to hold Ava!
Seriously - is there a deep meaning to the grasshopper sound in the courtyard - because it sure would help me appreciate the one in my garage!
Glad you two are having such a great time! One more day by the time you read this! -Stacey
Anne & Scott -
We're all thinking of you back here. It's 4:30 Friday so I think that's 4:30 a.m. Saturday so we're all guessing you awake counting down the hours until Ava's in your arms.
You have such a wonderful record of your journey to her.
We'll be checking in to see more
Take care
Mae
Anne and Scott
Ok... I finally figured out how to post. I thought I posted three messages already. Apparently NOT! Anyway... we are so excited to be taking this journey with you! How amazing. I can't remember seeing such broad smiles. This is truly remarkable... and we are filled with love and excitement for you. Plus, we are learning a LOT about China. What a wonderful way to let us all be part of this amazing experience.
Have a blast!
Lots of love...
Julie and Bill
The hutongs sound great. It reminds me of the villages in Bali, where each family would have a small complex made up of several buildings and a temple, and there would be small paths and shared waterways connecting the complexes. And fighting crickets? That's just awesome. Do you remember when we were kids on the beach, Anne, and we saw a bunch of ladybugs fighting some kind of green bugs? You and I were pretty fired up about it. Well, don't lose all of your yuan betting on the wrong cricket. And leave it to me to change the subject from adorable babies to insect wars.
We're all eagerly anticipating the next post... the big day is almost here!
Love,
Mike
Post a Comment