
Greetings from Beijing, China. It feels really cool typing that. The journey was long, well over 24 hours of total travel time, and we arrived at our hotel at 11 p.m. local time on Sunday night. Let's just say we were totally exhausted, but we took some time to scan the Beijing skyline from our 16th floor window, took showers (boy, did we need them), and went to bed. We got up at 7 a.m. and ate a magnificent buffet breakfast at the hotel -- congee, beans, noodles, as well as all the typical Western fare, such as potato salad. (Yes, we're not kidding.) The food was incredible, actually, and we're already looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast.
Now we're off to see the Temple of Heaven. Some highlights and memories of our travels so far, include:
- Seeing three new adoptive families exit the China flight while we were in Minneapolis.
- Roaming the stores at the Tokyo airport and people-watching.
- Seeing the China coast and city lights for the first time from the air at night, including lots of ships and boats.
- Seeing our Bethany representative, Joy (pictured above), meet us at the airport after getting our bags. Whew.
- Riding in a taxi down the streets of Beijing at more than 100mph and not really caring. Ah, yeah, and the seatbelts didn't work.
- Trying to figure out how to work the light switches.... Hmmmm, maybe we were just tired.
- Oh, and not to forget, learning that our laptop isn't working anymore. Thank goodness for the business center in the hotel, which is where we are right now.
Scott and Anne journeyed to China in September, 2006 to adopt their daughter, Ava. Relive their experiences through their 
5 comments:
I am so glad that you all are safe and sound! Thanks for warning us about the taxi ride. I am looking forward to tasting the congee at breakfast. I hope you didn't damage your laptop with the new adaptor! Can't wait to meet you Wednesday.
Conway
Dear Anne and Scott (-:
Congratulations on a successful start to your big adventure! I told Jim I had a feeling it was Monday morning there and that you would be letting us know you arrived safely. Ah, you are there!! Enjoy every unique day. And THANK YOU for keeping us posted. Scott, I will call your parents at their cottage. Oh, we are all excited!!!
Love from Mom and Dad, G & G L. xoxoxo
Dear Anne and Scott,
I reached your parents, Scott, and here's some messages from them (-:
Foremost, they are thrilled that you have successfully arrived in China and loved hearing the news!
Randi chuckled about your light switch dilemma as she had a dishwasher dilemma at the cottage.
The appliance was quite old and she called Bonnie for a little advice (-:
Al had two hits when fishing today (-: but they got away )-:
But it sounds like they are having a very nice time and good weather. And they send their love!
I'll let Dave, Mike, Dan and other family know you are in China and I'm sure they will be checking your blog. Love the blog!
One little postscript--I took an adaptor to Brazil and neither Ju nor I could get it to work. Hopefully, it's the adaptor that's at fault and not a broken laptop.
But sounds like you are both doing great! Blessings to you!
Love from G & G Bogen & Loew
Yeah! You made it! Can't believe you are on the other side of the world. Thank God for the internet. I think that James is starting to get tired of me updating him on what you are doing :-) ("Jen, I know, you already told me six times that they are on the plane!", he said to me last night!) Now I guess it's my turn to live vicariously through you! Enjoy your last baby-free days as a couple and make sure that you sleep in late at least one day!
Jen
Dan:
Go China Scott and Anne! Gooo! I love the picture of Joy the Bethany representative - she looks so happy, even overklempt, to see you. That's cool.
What a crazy experience it is to travel more than 24 hours, huh? The first time I traveled to Brazil was mind-bending to say the least... good thing you guys had each other to stay sane.
I was just telling Ju on the way to work that you're probably falling asleep (or partying like true Wisconsinites) after your first full day in China. I am so happy and proud of you guys. Your honor is as limitless as the lights of Beijing! (Ok, that was cheesy but this is cheeseinchina).
Love you guys!
Dan
Post a Comment